Super Guide for Short-Term Residents Leaving Australia

Will short-term residents who leave Australia for good be able to get their super?


Starting July 1, 2002, individuals who have entered Australia with a valid short-term visa for residents and who have, in consequence, departed Australia for good are going to be eligible to acquire the amount of whatever super they have built up. The amount is going to be applied to a unique withholding tax.

Superannuation generally could not be acquired till the time of your retirement. But, with the conditions described below you could be capable of getting your superannuation at an earlier time.

Extreme Financial Difficulty

The Trustee of REST is not going to allow the early release of superannuation based on the condition of extreme financial difficulty.

The good thing is, if you are going to qualify for the criteria above for the early release of your superannuation on the grounds of compassion, you would then be able to apply and have your case checked by the DHS.

Long-Term Incapability or Serious Illness

Your superannuation can be acquired early if you are:

Incapacitated for good – not likely to get involved with legitimate employment where you are technically eligible (through experience, training or education) due to issues of mental or physical well-being.
Assessed to have a serious medical issue. During the case of serious sickness, your superannuation will also be given to you free of tax

Compassionate grounds

You can try to qualify for the DHS or Department of Human Services for the early access of your superannuation on compassionate grounds.

The Department of Human Services advocates correct measures and is only going to allow the release of superannuation according to the grounds of compassion specified below:

• To shoulder the costs related to the death of a dependent, burial or funeral.
• To give payment for costs related to giving care for a serious medical illness (for example, palliative care), for a dependent or yourself
• to transform your vehicle/home to cater to the special requirements for your dependent or you, during the situation of serious disability
• to stop your house from getting sold by the lender of mortgage which results from the failure to pay on the loan for your house
• to give payment for the transport of individuals with issues about dental or medical treatment, for your dependent or you
• to give payment for persons that have dental or medical treatment needs, for your dependent or you

If you want more details and information about the different conditions of release, including compassionate grounds, check out our When Can I Withdraw My Superannuation Guide or call Australian Super Finder on 1300 559 392.

REST is going to request from you to secure a validation of your illness from two different doctors, and during the situation of severe medical illness, at least one of the doctors has to be specializing in the specific field.

Non-Preserved Superannuation

When any of the superannuation you have is categorized as ‘non-preserved unrestricted,' you could gain access to it whenever you want. Finding out if you have ‘non-preserved unrestricted’ superannuation, verify the most current statement of the member.

On the other hand, you could also go to, check out the information on the site, then go to the knowledge base for more information.

To withdraw the amount, you need to get in touch with us on how to get a copy of the proper form to fill up.

The qualified categories of visa are mentioned in the Super Industry (Supervision) Regulations and also mentioned in the additional documents that go with the fact sheet.

Citizens of New Zealand

In case you are a citizen of New Zealand, the short-term resident policies elaborated above are not applicable to you. Starting July 2013 superannuation funds need to be transferred to a KiwiSaver structure based on the trans-Tasman scheme for the portability of the savings on your retirement in case you are qualified for specific criteria.

In the Time of Death or A Case of Long-Term and Total Disability

With Total or Permanent Disability insurance using your superannuation account, you could submit a claim. Insurance privileges should also fulfill the criteria of the insurer.

If you need more details, please reach us, and we are going to walk you through the whole process.

Short-Term Residents Leaving Australia

In case you are a short-term resident and have left Australia for good, you can usually reach your superannuation. If you wish to have more details and apply on the internet, go to the ATO website at and look for ‘Short-term residents' application on the internet.'

Are Citizens Of Australia Who Leave Australia For Good Capable Of Getting Their Super?

Unfortunately not, they do not qualify for the criteria of eligibility.

Are citizens of New Zealand going to be able to get whatever Australian super upon departing from Australia?

The answer is no. They do not fulfill the criteria for eligibility.

How does a short-term resident qualify for payment based on the provisions?

The person needs to submit an application to their fund for the payment of the privileges. By so doing, they have to provide proof of their qualification.

If the privilege of a person in the fund is lower than $5,000, they must have to secure:

• Proof, or other copy, of a legitimate visa, which shows that they were the owner and the visa has been terminated or has expired; and
• a proof of their passport which shows that they have left Australia.

In case the person's privilege in the fund is $5,000 or above then the matching proof is a written declaration from the DIMIA or the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs showing that the person was an owner of a legitimate visa that has been terminated or expired and that they have left Australia for good.

To secure this, the person has to fill up a form for the 'Confirmation of Immigration Status.' This is going to be accessible from the ATO and the DIMIA websites starting July 2002 and could only be transferred to the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs as soon as the short-term resident has departed from Australia.

Funds are going to be normally necessary to post a payment in a period of 28 days upon the receipt of a legitimate request, even if transitional contracts provide a slack of 3 months time to process for submissions processed up to October 31, 2002.

In what way are payments made to short-term residents who have left going to be taxed?

For a lot of cases, they are going to be under 30% tax. The particular percentages are:

• donations not deducted and after June 1994 invalidity element — 0%
• after June 1983 component without tax — 40%
• the remainder (in a lot of cases after June 1983 taxed component) — 30%

In what manner are the tax going to be collected?

Super funds are going to be necessary to withhold tax with the new percentages while the payment is made. The fund is then going to remit that money to the Australian Tax Office in alignment with their usual PAYG cycle for withholding remittance.

What reporting responsibilities are going to apply to the fund?

The fund is going to be required to give a summary for withholding payment to the person and report information about the withholding every year to the Australian Tax Office.

More information is going to be accessible on the Australian Tax Office website in June 2002.

Since the amount is not an ETP, it is not necessary to be reported due to RBL and other requirements for reporting particular to ETP's since they are not applicable.

Should the person have to include the amount of payment with their tax return during that year?

They should not. The payments do not comprise part of verifiable income. The withholding by the fund is, in other words, a final tax.

Are the balances in SHAR also going to be released?

Yes, they will be released, granted that the pertinent circumstances (the person entered Australia on a short-term residents visa that has been terminated and that they have departed Australia) have been met.

What is going to happen to my superannuation if I depart from Australia?

When you are employed within Australia on a short-term basis, it does not immediately follow that you will be retiring here. It does not imply that you’re not going to have the super amount which has been imparted to you.

It’s your superannuation, and you have the right to have it if you depart from Australia by securing a DASP or Departing Australia Super Payment.

Who are qualified?

You are qualified to secure a Departing Australia Super Payment if you’re currently in Australia on a short-term visa (without the inclusion of subcategories 405 as well as 410) and happen to depart the country. Citizens of New Zealand are not qualified to the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment because they might get Age Pension privileges in Australia.

Governments from New Zealand and Australia though, now have a contract set to let the movement of super from a Fund in Australia to the super system in New Zealand.

Claiming a Departing Australia Super Payment

In making a claim, one should first have left Australia, and one’s visa should have been terminated or has expired.

In case the balance on your account is not more than $5,000 (Australian), and you leave Australia without requesting a 'Date and Port' sign for the passport, and want to acquire your privileges straight from your super fund, you need to:

• Submit the Certification of Immigration Status along with a proof of your visa (or a different copy) proving that you have been a short-term resident, and one’s short-term visa has stopped being in effect, along with a filled up Application for a DASP or Departing Australia Super Payment form to your super fund.
• Go to the DIAC or Department of Immigration and Citizenship for Immigration Certification Status. The fee to apply is $55.
• As another option, you could submit your application immediately by way of the ATO or Australian Taxation Office without fee Departing Australia Superannuation Payment internet application service.

If you want more details about this, reach the Super Officer at the Immigration Department through email.

Should your balance be more than $5,000, you have to fill up an application with the Departing Australia Super Payment by way of the ATO or Australian Taxation Office. You can submit an application for payment:

• by calling 13 10 20 to get the application so that you can submit an application through writing or
• the internet through the use of the internet payment method that you could get through the Australian Tax Office website at, or
• by finishing an Application for a DASP or Departing Australia Superannuation Payment which can be accessed through the Australian Tax Office website.

Take note that if you apply, you are going to need to secure your:

• membership number and super fund name
• passport number
• name as well as the date of birth
• TFN or Australian Tax File Number.

You need to make a specific document of the requirements for identification on your Application for a DASP or departing Australia super payment since it may be quite hard to look for a citizen in Australia staying abroad who is qualified to verify your identification, it could be worth accomplishing before departing Australia.

If you wish to get more Superannuation details for short-term residents leaving Australia just consult the Australian Tax Office main site.

How long is the claim procedure going to take?

Around 28 days since the time of the reception of your application. Even if it could take a bit more while if we require more details or if extra application forms have to be completed.

Is tax going to be applied?

For a lot of situations, Departing Australia Super Payment applications have a tax application at a percentage of 35%. Whatever money that you might have contributed from your post-tax earnings (personal donations) is not going to be under the tax.

How do I get the payments?

As soon as your claim has been taken care of, we are going to give you an amount by check in Aussie Dollars. You are also going to get a DASP summary.

Will there be a time cap to get my super back?

The answer is no. However, if you did not make a Departing Australia Super Payment claim in a period of six months of departing Australia and the visa has been terminated or has expired, we are going to be asked to move the balance on your account to the Australian Tax Office.

Should this happen, you are going to have to make the Departing Australia Super Payment claim immediately with the Australian Tax Office either on the internet or through a written document as mentioned above.

A declaration of exit is not going to be provided by us because of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission special relief you could still call us regarding the transferred amount in case you have to.

Will returning to Australia be possible in the future?

Should you wish to return to Australia in the future you would have to call the DOI or Department of Immigration for more information, however, in many cases, individuals could come back to Australia with a new visa even as they leave and claim back the superannuation.

Backpackers Can claim Super Fun after Leaving Australia

You are granted the benefits of super contributions if you are working in Australia by your employer aside from your salary. If employees retire, superannuation is a long-term savings plan that could give them income. In the time of your employment, these donations are paid by your employer.

Right after your visa has expired, as a short-term resident in Australia, you are granted the right to claim your super as soon as you have left the country. This is what you have to understand about Superannuation and how to get it.

How is a super refund acquired?

For someone to be worthy for a refund of his/her Super he/she must have left the country and have his/her visa cancelled or expired (our group can assist you with this). Should you wish to have your super back, it should not cause any problems with you working again and returning to Australia.

The ATO doesn't provide you with the direct application for a refund with your Super Fund quite easily. We have assisted many travellers to claim their refunds, and we can also guide you through the process step by step to make sure that you get the refund which is rightfully yours.

For claiming a super fund, complete the form at the Australian Super Finder home page and review the instructions about the necessary documentation. If you are still in Australia, it is a good idea to be in possession of a true copy of one’s passport picture page before leaving.

The amount you will be getting back

This is the thought in everyone's minds when talking about refunds. It's really difficult to say until we get in touch with your superannuation funds since the amount paid in is not the amount that you can reclaim.

The reason for this is that every fund gives a charge for annual management fees, some of them give a charge for early repayment fees, etc.

Therefore, even if your pay slip declares that $1000 has been paid to your super fund, you are going to get less back because fees are subtracted from the amount paid in. Additionally, the government wants to take have its share so, subtract 35% tax from the refund and this is non-refundable.

Usually, our employer donated 9.5% of your salary into a Superfund. The government is going to get 38% of your money when you withdraw it and then apply a tax of 15% when it gets paid in. Our standard fee is $250 for every fund or 11% of the amount of the refund.

Typically, it is recommended that you apply for your Super return if you have made $5000 or above. When you have above $5,000 in whatever fund you will also have to get an immigration status certificate. We are going to guide you through this process too.

Reclaiming my Superannuation

Granted that you are a short-term resident employed in Australia, your employer needs to cover your super guarantee donations for you.

In ordinary situations, people could not access their super until their retirement. However, as a short-term resident, you can claim your super if:

• Your visa has been canceled or expired
• You have departed from Australia

Such payment is termed a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP).

Should you depart Australia with your visa not yet expired, you could either make a decision to wait until the cancellation of your visa or the expiration of your visa. Truly, you can ask the Border Protection and Department of Immigration for the cancellation of your visa so that you could claim a DASP.

Cancellation of your visa is free of charge.

When do I get my super refund

Refunds are manually processed and can take the duration of 60 days to handle depending on the number of superannuation funds that you have. The refund is directly forwarded to your overseas location in the form of a check.

If your tax refund application is lodged during the same time, then we can subtract the fee from the tax refund. Otherwise, the payment is made through PayPal.

Application For a Refund

It is quite easy if you are filing a final tax return, when you depart Australia, then simply tick the option on the tax refund application form and then sign and return the Power of Attorney together with the documents described on the checklist.

These two forms are immediately emailed to you so you should monitor your inbox as soon as you click submit on the application for tax return. Deducted from your tax refund is a fee of $195.

Going Through The Process

During the completion of the form, you must give:

• the details of your supper account– this includes the Australian business number (ABN) of your super fund and your number as a member.
• Australian tax file number (TFN)
• the number on your passport
• email address
• personal details like date of birth and your name

Usually, you have to include a true copy of your visa or any proof which shows that your visa has expired, together with a true copy of your passport.

You can also opt for the manner of receiving payment of your super. It can be done either through check or an International money transfer towards your overseas financial institution.

Remember that if you declare a money transfer as compulsory to your bank overseas, you will be charged with extra fees (transfer fees).

As soon as it is completed, simply submit your form on the internet.

Duration of Process

For processing a DASP claim, the service standard is 28 days starting from the date you submitted your complete application.

How We Can Help You Find Your Super Payment Through The Australian Super Finder

Do not panic if you are not comfortable going through it alone. We can work with you to go through the process.

If you have earned and worked for your super while you visited Australia with a short-term visa, you can attempt to have this super paid to you as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) when you depart.

There are compulsory things that you are going to need to have your DASP. Before you lodge your DASP application, verify with your employer that they need to pay for the total super that they have to.

If it has been six months or more from the time you depart Australia and you have not lodged for DASP, your super fund is going to forward your super to us via Australian Super Finder.

In Australian Super Finder, as soon as we lodge for the super refund of your super fund, we verify everything including all your documents which are in order before we send them hence resulting in most Super refunds going back after two weeks.

You can get your super through us through the submission of your application here – Find Lost Super.

Is My Employer Taking Care of My Superannuation?

It is correct that some employers do not make the superannuation donation to your superannuation fund, even if it's a compulsory step for your employer to take care of your superannuation.

If you have suspicions and misgivings that your employer is not taking care of your superannuation or should you be hesitant, your first attempt to reach out to someone who can help you should be immediate with your employer.

Should your employer declare that the payment was already made, but you couldn't find any proof,, you need to ask them for information about your superannuation fund as well as get in touch with your superannuation fund right away to verify if the account has the right balance.

Should your employer decline to handle it or is not giving you with whatever proof of resolving it, you can submit a complaint directly towards the Australian Taxation Office.

If you require assistance with getting in touch with the ATO regarding the superannuation that was unpaid, we at Australian Super Finder can help you in this case.

Last Reflections

If you are earning more than $450 every month, then your employer should have been paying 9% of your salary towards a Superannuation fund. You can reclaim a refund for this only when you leave Australia once and for all.

For you to be worthy for a refund of your superannuation, you must have once and for all departed Australia aside from having a visa that is expired.

Remember: for claiming a super refund it is not necessary for you to have been classed as a resident for tax. Anyone departing permanently with no right to return can reclaim it.


Have you changed your name, address or job in recent times?

If so, Now is the time to find those multiple funds & consolidate your super!

Australian Super Finder specialise in searching for lost, inactive and active superannuation accounts.

Complete the form to find your money.

Free Super Search
Date Of Birth
I had no idea where my lost super was or the names of the funds. I just new it was scattered everywhere and I should definitely have more than $3,000 in my super. Australian super Finder found all 7 of my funds and now my balance is almost $50,000. Thank you so much for getting my super back on track.

- Leonie, Thomastown VIC

© AUSTRALIAN SUPER FINDER. All rights reserved. Authorised Representative Number : 462591 | Under Financial Advisers Dealer Group Pty Ltd | ABN 19 620 315 228 AFSL No. 501362.
All information on this website is of a general nature only. We have not taken into account your financial situation, needs or objectives. You need to make up your own mind and ascertain yourself if it is right for you. We recommend you read the product disclosure statement(s) and the financial services guide before making any financial decision.